Saturday, October 27, 2012

Well the last three weeks have definitely passed me by and I have truly been blessed. When I was told that in my three weeks before I head out to South Sudan I would be going to New York to work with Brethren Disaster Ministries, I really had no idea what I would be doing but I knew it would be work. When I showed up I walked out of the van they thought I was a youth…I guess I look young. I got to work in the kitchen for a week, paint some houses for a week and back in the kitchen for the last week. I have been blessed by the people I have been able to meet while I have been here. There have been three groups of volunteers from PA and Ohio. I have also had the chance to make some new friends. I have had the chance to meet the BDM staff and have been truly blessed.  Jeff and Sandy a couple from Michigan have really been a blessing. The laughter, stories and genuine interest have truly blessed me. Their relationship with God and their faith journey are really an inspiration. Prattsville, New York is a town that has suffered a lot through Hurricane Irene but in the rebuilding process the community has really touched many people who have come in to help and walked away with a renewed spirit. The church in this town is small but mighty and they are fully supporting each other and building a community of believers. Even in the different views of people I have enjoyed Bible studies and getting to laugh and joke with people. 
I know that as the days get closer to leaving and flying off to South Sudan the anxiousness builds up. So keep me in your prayers as I fly out of DC on Monday mid-morning and arrive in the capital, Juba, South Sudan on Tuesday around noon their time. I know that God is and will continue to use me in this time of transition and protect me as I travel across the ocean and to Torit. I know that His timing is perfect and His plans are much bigger and greater than anything I can ever imagine.